Digital India is all about transforming India into a digitally empowered society and converting to a knowledge economy. Digital India programme is a vision of the Mr. Narendra Modi, Hon'ble Prime Minister of India. This transformation and delivery of good governance are envisaged through coordinated efforts of both central and state governments. The ruling party had pitched the concept of Digital India in the BJP Election Manifesto 2014.
The programme is to be coordinated by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY). They will ensure co-operation of various other ministries. Digital India programme will benefit all states and union territories. The existing or ongoing e-Governance initiatives by various states and unions territories will be realigned in tune with the principles of Digital India.
What are the main objectives of the Digital India programme?
The programme is promoted with the following aims:
• Make available government services to citizens electronically.
• Ensure public accountability for government’s services.
• Provide momentum for e-Governance
• Promote inclusive growth by covering electronic services, products, manufacturing and thereby create more jobs.
How is the implementation of Digital India programme envisaged?
Implementation of Digital India programme is envisages the following:
• Improve digital infrastructure to ensure secure and high speed internet.
• Focus on integrating various services of governments across departments and jurisdictions
• Making various services available to public through online and over mobile in real time.
• Focus on digital literacy and digital empowerment of citizens of the country.
• Ensure availability of digital resources and services in Indian languages.
Government has projected an outlay of Rs. 1,13,000 crores. Implementation of programme is envisaged in phases from 2014 till 2018. Restructured National Informatics Center (NIC) will ensure support to concerned departments of states and central governments.
Digital India: Basics Ought To Be Known
Digital India is all about transforming India into a digitally empowered society and converting to a knowledge economy. Digital India programme will benefit all states and union territories.