Garlic, the herb, is a powerhouse of magical strengths. Surprised? Just read on and decide by yourself.
Garlic has been in use since ancient times as an ingredient of food. Apart from adding a powerful smell and a pungent taste to dishes, it has got immense medicinal properties too.
Garlic: Earlier beliefs and uses
• Roman soldiers believed that garlic helped to become courageous and stronger. It was an ingredient of their regular food.
• Garlic was consumed as a preventive against plague, in the middle ages.
• It was worn on the body to ward off evils!!!
Garlic: Medicinal powers
Medicinal powers of garlic has been discovered recently only.
• It has antiseptic properties and used for curing intestinal disorders.
• It helps in controlling high blood pressure
• Garlic is an effective remedy for heart ailments and cough
• The juice of garlic is applied on the skin as a cure against insect bites and stings.
• Garlic syrup is taken to cure cold.
• Prevents formation of clots in the body.
• It is used to relieve toothaches.
• It regulates formation of fat cells and controls body weight.
• Garlic in the soil around peach trees, help the gardeners to discourage borer from harming the trees.
Garlic: The source of powers
• The bulb of garlic contains an antibiotic called allium
• It contains compounds of sulphur which gives the pungent smell. These compounds dilate blood vessels and controls blood pressure.
• Garlic is a source of selenium and
• It is source of allicin which has antibacterial and anti-viral capabilities. It reduces arterial plaque formation.
• It is a source of the chemical ajoene used to treat fungal infections.
• It contains diallyl sulphide and thiacremonone which is the reason for the anti-arthritic property.
• Garlic contains allyl sulphide with anti-cancer properties.
Garlic: In general
Though a native of Europe and Asia, Garlic plant grows in Italy and southern France too. Garlic produces two types of bulbs or bulbets
• Ariel bulbets produced on flower stalk are used as seeds to new plants.
• Cloves, the underground bulbs are sold in shops. It resemble onions.
One blub encloses up to 20 bulbets. Garlic has about 0.1% of essential oil which contains diallyl disulphide, diallyl trisulfide, diallyl propyl disulfide.