Have you ever felt a shock without touching a live wire? Having read the topic, you might have guessed the answer.
Energy conservation has been one of the top agendas for saving the planet as production of energy through various conventional methods lead to green house gas emissions and rising temperature. In fact, home owners have lot of options to reduce the usage of electricity and reduce electricity bills. More awareness, application of simple tips and conscious decision enable you to reduce the electricity bill.
Let us examine some simple steps to reduce electricity bill without spending money for investments on green power gadgets .
1. Have a comparison chart
Often, the shock of the bill lasts for one or two days within which it gets absorbed. If we constantly remind ourselves about the high cost, it is easy to reduce electricity bill. Stick a comparison chart in a prominent place where your eyes fall on every day. One of the best options is the refrigerator door. Please note down the month wise electricity charges on this chart so that whenever you approaches the fridge, the chart reminds you the need to save electricity.
2. Replace incandescent bulbs with LED or CFL bulbs.
LED and CFL bulbs are energy efficient compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. It is true that the initial investments in LED and CFL bulbs are higher compared to that of the incandescent bulbs. But the longer life and reduction in energy consumption saves electricity bill considerably and in long term they prove to be highly cost saving. Many local authorities offer CFL bulbs at a discount to promote energy conservation.
3. Turn off lights and home appliances when not in use.
Reduction in cost, whether it is government or company or house, starts with adoption of best practices. One of the best practices to reduce consumption of electricity and electricity bill is to switch off lights and fans when you leave the room. Home appliances which are not in use also should be switched off. It is a common practice to switch off TV and sound systems using remote control and keep computers on energy saver mode. Remember that even in these conditions energy is consumed, though at reduced levels. Completely switch off the appliances when they are not in use.
4. Go for energy efficient and energy star labeled devices
Bigger size appliances than necessary may help you to satisfy your ego, but leave a dent on your pocket. Buy and use refrigerators, water heaters, pressure cookers, air conditioners and washing machines based on your requirement. Whenever you choose a new household electrical appliance, remember to compare energy consumption with other models. Never be satisfied with appliances that do not carry energy star labels.
5. Ensure proper maintenance of major household appliances
a. Air conditioners
• Ensure air condition vents are open and clean.
• Replace the air filters on regular basis.
• Use fans to regulate airflows inside the room.
b. Washing machines
• Load only the correct quantum of clothing
• Opt for cold water washing and use heating option only when essential
• Air dry the cloths at least in summer season.
• Operate during non peak hours
• Ensure use of hot water only for unavoidable operations
• Avoid heated dry method
• Load dishes properly
• Have better awareness on placing of dishes
d. Refrigerators and Freezers
• Keep the appliance at least 5 cm away from the wall to ensure proper air supply
• Keep the doors always closed and ensure that sealing gasket prevents air leakage
• Fill unused spaces with padding
• Defrost the freezer periodically to remove layer of ice.
• Use energy efficient LED or CFL bulbs in place of incandescent bulbs
• Paint rooms with light reflecting bright paints.
• Identify effective places for fixing lights.
• Use dimmer switches wherever possible
f. Electric stove
• Always remember that electric stove swallows electricity
• Select suitable pots
• Avoid using electric stove for boiling water
• Ensure that the door is remaining closed.
• Avoid using intermittently. Use the oven continuously once it become hot.
• Avoid preheating
• Prefer toasters and microwaves wherever possible.
Take a paper. Start preparing the chart. Let that be the first step towards controlling electricity bill.