You may not have wondered what would happen if you share chocolates with your pets. If you have pets, you must definitely pay attention to this warning – Never feed your dogs or cats with chocolates! They are intelligent enough to avoid chocolates with the help of their senses unless they get fed unknowingly (may be hidden in their favorite food).
Chocolates can be deadly to pets depending on the amount you feed. There are two chemicals present in chocolates that cause problems in dogs and cats called theobromine and caffeine. Of them most deadly poison is theobromine. Depending on the amount of chemical ingested it may become poison killing your pet dog or cat.
Not only chocolates, caffeine can be found in cocoa, colas and drinks like red bull. It is known that caffeine poisoning causes muscle tremors, heart palpitation, breathing problem or even fits.
About 100 to 150 milligrams per kilogram of body weight of theobromine causes chocolate poisoning. It also matters whether it is milk chocolate, unsweetened baker’s one or sweetened ones. For Smaller dogs especially, chocolates are definitely deadly. Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of theobromine. The dangerous ones include dark chocolates and baker’s chocolates.Even candies could harm the pets playing with their insulin levels finally leading to liver failure. Xylitol is the deadly substance present in candies.
Please log in to post questions/answers: